The Traditional ANZAC Biscuit Recipe
Created to remember the Fallen ANZACS at Gallipoli (25 April 1915) and baked in Australia and New Zealand for the ANZAC Day public holiday (25 April) … and sampled at the April 2023 CLWG meeting.
Traditional Anzac biscuits
Makes 15 biscuits | Prep 20 mins | Cook 12 mins
1 1/4 cups of plain flour, sifted
1 cup Traditional Rolled Oats
1/2 cup caster or white sugar
1 cup desiccated coconut
150g unsalted butter, chopped
2 Tbsp golden syrup
1 1/2 Tbsp boiling water
1/2 tsp bicarb soda
1. Preheat oven to 170°C.
2. Place the flour, oats, sugar, and coconut in a large bowl and stir to combine.
3. In a small saucepan place the golden syrup and butter and stir over low heat until the butter has fully melted.
4. Mix the bicarb soda with 1 1/2 Tbsp boiling water and add to the golden syrup mixture. It will bubble whilst you are stirring together so remove from the heat.
5. Pour into the dry ingredients and mix together until fully combined. Roll tablespoonfuls of mixture into balls, flatten and place on baking trays lined with non-stick baking paper, pressing down on the tops with a fork to flatten slightly.
6. Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown.